Tuesday, November 3, 2020

Sunday Morning Observances: On Voting, Faith, and Compassion

The synchronicity of Election Day with All Saints/All Souls/Day of the Dead...

For many of us, we know and feel these times to be especially sacred: a moment when the boundaries "thin" between the living and our beloved dead...we remember them, we pay them tribute, we give them thanks, we call their names. We place marigolds around their photos.
It is this same faith in the love of the world that drives me and many others to vote. As the Franciscan father Richard Rohr has written, "voting is a deeply moral act—a decisive statement of Christian faith that I matter, that justice matters, and that other people matter."
It's the "other people matter" part of his statement from which many seemingly religious people have become disconnected. As Rohr goes on to note, many "Christians" do not connect their inner, "heaven focused" world with our collective economic, social, or political life.
There are, all too obviously and amost recently with our Supreme Court hearings, many strains of Catholicism. I was lucky enough to have been raised in the type that understand's Jesus's teachings as a message of social justice for all. Like Rohr, I ask myself: "how can I be good for the sake of my neighborhood, my city, my church, my community, and the world? It really is a different starting place. It’s not seeking my own ego enhancement, but the spiritual and physical well-being of others, as Jesus did."
As feminists we learned: the personal is the political. "There really is no such thing as being non-political. Everything we say or do either affirms or critiques the status quo. Even to say nothing is to say something. If we say nothing, we communicate that the status quo—even if it is massively unjust and deceitful—is apparently okay."
My faith means that public virtue is about solidarity with others -- not just about my own ego, well-being, greed, or "private sense of 'holiness.'"
Today, on All Souls' Day and in loving memory of my grandmothers, mother, and god mother, I challenge my fellow Christians who consider themselves to be "pro life" and are single issue, anti-abortion voters: what can you DO to improve the lives of women and children so that safe, legal abortion continues on the decreasing path on which it has been? How can YOU hold men accountable for their sexuality and violence? How can YOU ensure we as women have control over our bodies through full access for all to effective birth control? How can YOU vote for a compassionate world, in which poor and starving and abandoned and separated children are well cared for once they enter this world?
This is the work to be done: to VOTE FOR A COMPASSIONATE WORLD in which all are called to serve, and all are called to care. Not about your own self interest: rather, about those who struggle the most and are the most vulnerable. If you think of your vote from this perspective, your choice will be absolutely clear.
Vote like OUR LIVES depend on it: because they do.

No comments: