Thursday, August 12, 2021

Mary of the Fishes, and Family Vacations: Part I

Mary Urban Endrich holding two large fish
Mary of the Fishes
Eastport, ME 1955

My maternal grandmother Marie Elizabeth Urban Endrich -- known to all as Mary, to me as the Gram who taught me how to read and write when I was three years old -- was born in 1898 on the southwest corner of Tompkins Square Park in the East Village of NYC.

It wasn't the hip village of the musical "Rent" then -- the one in which I came of age as a young adult working at the #Village Voice from 1985 - 1998.

Yet it WAS "La Vie Boheme" quite literally in regard to my great grandparents, Frantisek Urban and Aloisie Herel, who landed (separately, before meeting and marrying two years later) on the Lower East Side, along with thousands of other immigrants from Eastern Europe and beyond, fresh off the boats from Bohemia in 1892.

Mary and her two older brothers, Joseph and Frantisek, Jr., were born in that Avenue A apartment. They grew up speaking Bohemian. Frantisek was a butcher in the city. At some point, between a trip back to Czechoslovakia in 1900 and the birth of their fourth child there, Rudolf, and the 1910 census they relocated to Killingworth, CT and became a farming family on their own small farm.

These photos were taken on a family vacation to #Eastport, #Maine in 1955 and collected into a tiny paper photo album.

Mary and Richard

ALL vacations were family vacations throughout my own growing up: we never went anywhere -- Vermont, Maine, the Catskills -- without my grandmothers, all of us packed into a tiny Scottie travel trailer like so many sardines in a tin can, we children swinging in red cotton hammocks with our noses pressed against the metal ceiling, living our post-WWII best lives.
Mary and Aunt Jody

My uncle Richie, my mother's older brother, and his wife Jody took both his parents with him on many vacations -- such as this one to Eastport, on which my unmarried mother, Mae or more familiarly "Maisie," also accompanied them; as well as all the way across country by car to California a couple of years later, after my grandfather's death. 

A bear greeting my Uncle, Aunt, and Grandmother
on their first trip to Yellowstone 1957.

Richie had been previously engaged to a mystery woman of whom, along with her small terrier, I have photos but no name. She broke his heart after his return from serving at Anzio, Italy in WWII. He then married his first cousin once removed, Johanna "Jody" Herel Harris, the granddaughter of his own grandmother's sister and the third consecutive Johanna in her own family tree.

Mary is 57 in these photos -- three years younger than I am now. This is how I remember her looking: 6' tall and well over 200 pounds, with the broad features of her Slavic ancestry in which you can still see "the old country" as it was repeatedly referred to in our family -- and a bipolar lust for life from which we all benefitted and, at times, ran.

Mary Urban Endrich


No comments: