Monday, January 31, 2022

My Life as a CNA #3: Love Not Charity

The scrapbook my mother made for school when she
was eight years old in 1931 in Old Saybrook, CT.

When my mother was eight years old, in 1931, her assignment from some inspiring and resourceful classroom teacher was to create a family scrapbook.

It's a remarkable document, captioned in my mother's youthful penmanship, replete with some of the only labeled photos of our ancestors I've found amidst bags and bags of curled and unnamed images. It includes a handwritten list of the genealogy on my maternal side, and photos of my grandmother's house where not only my mother and her two siblings but I as well were blessed to have grown up.

My grandmother and then my mother held onto this priceless archive until my mother's death in 2014, although its existence had been long forgotten by the time of my arrival in the 1960's. I never saw it or knew of it until, after her death, I began to sift through the boxes stored in my mother's basement. The treasure of things not discarded.

Each day I am at the nursing home, I am reminded of how much, and who, we throw away.

Elderly people--similarly to, as is often noted, babies--require a great deal of love and caretaking. Many return to that undeveloped innocence where they no longer are able to independently perform their basic mammalian functions of toileting, walking, and eating; nor the more advanced aspects of our humanity such as speaking, singing and dancing.

The biggest difference between babies and the elderly? Babies are our futures, reminding us that life is eternal even when our own is not. The elderly--our ancestors--lives are in the past. They remind us that our deaths are inevitable and coming quickly.

Increasingly, in our White U.S. culture, elderly humans--because they are not rich in future-time--are becoming, alongside the poor, the homeless, the incarcerated--the expendable. We push them aside and into corporately owned, for-profit facilities because we have created a culture in which we have neither the resources nor the time to properly care for them in our/their homes. In some cases, we are forced to institutionalize them to ensure they receive the medical care they need in a manner for which the state will pay.

Blessedly, there is a loving abundance of care and caretaking in nursing homes. I've witnessed how this work is a labor of love for the women and men with whom I have had the honor to serve during my training. I've watched in their faces, and felt in myself, the constant stream of emotions that loving and caring for the stranger elicits: it is rewarding, fulfilling, challenging, difficult, exhausting, and thankless work.

And still, while we do not discuss it, we do not fool ourselves. We go home late at night or early in the morning anxious and worried, imagining our own futures. Like the CNA's who care for them, our residents ARE the poor: they are the ones on Medicaid and Mainecare who cannot afford assisted living or private in-home care. They are the definition of the Greek word elachistoi: "the least of these" as it appears translated in the gospel of Matthew 25:40--you know, one of those key parables where Christians are told "...whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me..."

The literal meaning of elachistoi is “the smallest or most insignificant ones," or, in another manner of speaking, the expendable ones.

What I've noticed in the nursing home staff, and in myself, is that our very often invisible, forgotten caretaking for these elachistoi is not some type of romantic idea or charitable act. It cannot be. It must not be.

For they are us. 

1 comment:

fromwickedtowedded.com said...

could you add a like button to your blog :) ? Kaymarion