Sunday, January 30, 2022

The Blessings of Fragility

 

I went to bed feeling blessed, with the wind roaring and the cold, cold snow still falling after a delightful blizzard dinner of roasted chicken, brussels, and glazed carrots. In other words, our power held!

How lucky we are to be warm, to be together, to be fed. There are too many who are alone tonight; who are cold tonight; who are unhoused tonight; who are unfed tonight. It really just takes every one of our efforts to inadequately try to be sure those with the least among us are cared for. We are blessed, too, to have that work.

And I awoke feeling our fragile and temporary it all is--and how this is at the root of our blessings. When we can hold it and not fear it (thank you, Thich Nhat Hanh). When we can love it and not have it make us angry. Especially in a nation in which anger seems often to feel like a birthright to the White settler-colonialist culture.

With the power still on, we watched the Sundance Award-winning film CODA last night. CODA stands for Child of Deaf Adults. The movie is a somewhat traditional, quintessentially "American" tale--a young woman from the working class fishing community of Gloucester, MA, overcomes all obstacles to attend a music conservatory for college--but it is beautifully done. The fishing details, the sense of place, are evocative if, as-ever, romanticized. There is also a remarkable scene where the filmmaker allows us to experience what it is like to be deaf in a hearing world. But it was the 17-year-old hearing protagonist's deep connections to her deaf family, and the conflicted emotions she feels in leaving them for music school, that resonated deeply with me.

I miss my mom and my dad. I wish I had been better able to cross the huge distances that developed between our lives as I came out, went to college, became an artist and an intellectual.

My dad was functionally deaf. He didn't lip read or use sign language, but did have a hearing aid in one ear which allowed him to hear enough to get by. But he couldn't stand being in crowds: the background noise was just too much confusion for him. And, like the family in CODA, he could not really hear live music. And my mom, for a variety of similar reasons of brokenness, did not like to go anywhere without him.

(c) 1987 Kathryn Kirk
They delighted in each other, in us, and our small, tight family. Our world was very small. 

Since my dad couldn't hear, they didn't attend all the concerts I was in nor any of the sporting or other events. As an adopted, queer kid wanting a bigger world, this just made me feel abandoned (although I could not give voice to that) and angry (to which I gave plenty of voice). 

My understandings of their fragilities and vulnerabilities came much too late. We spent years disenfranchised from each other, with sparse visits. And then, as they were older parents, they began to become ill and simply needed our love and care in return. While I was able to provide some of that, I too often resembled the son in the Harry Chapin song with which I grew up in the 1970's, Cat's in the Cradle.

Mae and Evert--like all of us, when we settle into it--were broken in their own ways. As mid-century White Americans, they were not married until their late 30's. Unable to have kids. One deaf and one with wayward eyes. First generation high school graduates of immigrant parents. And they had, and gave my brother and myself, many privileges as well--not the least of which is being White and educated in the U.S.

And love. And perhaps most importantly, they gave us their frailties: blessings on which to base our own development of compassion, empathy, and love.

#gratitude

#love

#blessings

#frailties




1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks Linda for sharing CODA recommendation and personal family perspective. It inspires me to reminisce and contemplate my own different, but also relatively privileged adopted family history. May your power always stay on.